The hardest ingredient to replace in Vegan Lasagna is the ricotta – that delicious creamy layer that is critical to any good lasagna.
Since my Ayurvedic diet also requires me to avoid nuts, it is very difficult to find a store bought ricotta that works. Thus, I created my own. In order to learn about some different techniques, I suggest you check out this amazing post from SuperFoodEvolution.
For my recipe, I use a bunch of different seeds and I am very happy with the finished product. In fact, my wife actually likes this ricotta as a dip which see eats with carrots, celery and HU gluten-free, nut-free crackers.
1 Cup of Sunflower Seeds
1 Cup of Pumpkin Seeds
1/4 Cup of Hemp Seeds
1/4 Cup of Flax Seeds
1/4 Cup of Chia Seeds
1 Cup of Water, Hemp Milk or Coconut Milk
2 Tsp of Himalayan Salt
4 probiotic capsules
1/2 Cup of Fresh Sage
(1) Add the Sunflower Seeds to a large mason jar.
(2) Add the pumpkin seeds (I like to use Sprouted Pumpkin Seeds) to the mason jar.
(3) Add the Flax Seeds to the mason jar.
(4) Add the Chia Seeds to the mason jar.
(5) Add the Hemp Seeds to the mason jar.
(5) Add your water, Hemp Milk or Coconut Milk to the mason jar.
(6) Put the lid on the mason jar and shake to get the liquid to mix throughout the seeds. Then place the jar in the refrigerator and let soak overnight.
(7) Remove the seed mixture and add to your blender.
(8) Add your probiotic by opening the capsules and pouring into the mixture. Then add your himalayan salt.
(9) Add chopped Sage to the blender.
(10) Blend until smooth. Add additional water, hemp milk or coconut milk as needed to get a creamy consistency.
(11) Remove from the blender and place in a nut milk bag. Add a mason jar full with water to act as a weight to help squeeze out any excess liquid. Let rest on the counter for 4-6 hours.
(12) Remove from the nut bag and place in a bowl or tupperware. Now your Vegan Nut-Free Seed Ricotta Cheese is ready to use or eat. Store in the refrigerator.