I apologize for the delay in posting, but last week was a crazy work week.
I wanted to share my Vegan Lasagna recipe, but in order to complete the full recipe I wanted to share the recipes for the Healthy Red Sauce and the Vegan Nut-Free Seed Ricotta Cheese.
I’ll start with what I call my Healthy Red Sauce. Essentially, after years of cooking a traditional Italian Tomato Sauce, I created this recipe to (1) reduce the amount of tomatoes (trying to reduce the consumption of nightshades) and (2) to add a bunch of other ingredients that I couldn’t get my kids to eat any other way. So I essentially sneak them into the sauce.
1 Can of San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes
1 Cup of Carrot
1 Cup of Celery
1 Cup of Butternut Squash (blended)
3 Tbsp of Olive Oil
4 Cloves of Garlic
1″ of Fresh Ginger
1″ of Fresh Tumeric
1/2 Cup of Fresh Parsley (Italian Flat or Regular)
1/2 Cup of Fresh Oregano
1 Tsp of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tsp of Balsamic Vinegar
2-3 Cups of Water
Salt and Pepper to taste
Optional – 1 Tbsp of Dried Italian Herbs
(1) Add the Olive Oil to a large saucepan and put on medium heat
(2) Add finely diced garlic and cook for 1 minute
(3) Add the chopped ginger and tumeric and cook for another minute
(4) Add the diced shallot and cook for an additional minute
(5) Add the diced carrots, diced celery, chopped scallions, and apple cider vinegar. Cook for 3-5 minutes until soft
(6) Add 1 Cup of pureed Butternut Squash, stir and cook for another 2 minutes
(7) Add the Can of San Marzano tomatoes, smash and mix with other ingredients
(8) Mix all the ingredients together and add your water. The less water the thicker your sauce. Raise the heat to high and bring to a boil. Then reduce heat to simmer, cover and continue to cook.
(9) Add your chopped parsley
(10) Add your chopped oregano, balsamic vinegar, and Italian herbs
(11) Let simmer for 3-6 hours and then your sauce is ready to use.